Saturday I worked with the team from 10-2 and then kept working until 5 in the trailer, then put in another two hours that night at home doing parts ordering and shop upkeep purchases. I worked both Sunday and Monday for 5.5 and 4 hours in the trailer with what few students were available, too. That’s another 16 extra hours I worked over and above the scheduled meetings with the kids on the weekend (the 4 hours on Saturday, for a total of 20 hours of work over the weekend).
There was an unavoidable change that happened over the weekend, so I will need to restructure a lot of the team and either find a new coding mentor or (more probably) teach myself how to write code for a robot, because I certainly don’t already have enough to do. However, we did get a lot done. We got all the math done to mill the holes in the drive train and then got them done. I messed up and milled a set of holes 1/8″ too far away from another set, so we had to completely re-cut two of the chassis pieces and re-mill them. Thankfully on Saturday one of the students set up a really fantastic workholding jig so we could easily set the pieces up and make sure our measurements were solid. It took a long, long, long time to get everything set up and the zeros set, but once that was done, it was as easy as fitting in a new piece, loading up the appropriate program, and hitting “cycle start”.
Monday I got there to finish up the milling and discovered the monitor wouldn’t turn on. After over an hour of problem solving and calling the company and asking my husband to find me some cords in his infinite collection of random electrical cords, I finally just found a second monitor and hooked it up. It didn’t have the touch screen option available, so I had to figure out how to do everything differently, but I got it sorted and finished up the milling. I feel like we’re in a really good place to start putting the entire drive train together this week and hopefully have the whole thing driving by this coming weekend.